Sunday, September 8, 2013

National Suicide Day is This Tuesday...

In most cases, suicide is a solitary event and yet it has often far-reaching repercussions for many others. It is rather like throwing a stone into a pond; the ripples spread and spread.
ALISON WERTHEIMER


One thing that I have learned, is that sometimes our biggest scars, is where we can draw our biggest strength and help others by what we have gone through. I have it called the Wounded Warrior. Where our wounds, can help us to impact the lives of those who are going through what you have gone through.

Now, why am I talking about suicide? Tuesday is National Suicide Awareness Day across the world.  I have seen the affects in my family, my life and what it does to others. My Cousin, Charles Hundley went down into the basement in Chicago back in 1999, and shot himself in the head. I saw my best friend, lose his brother, by the same method back in 2012. I have seen the ripples across the pond by the people they left behind. Now, in the past, I have tried to kill myself...I have tried suicide..I did a overdose...I tried to slit my wrists, and for some reason I am still here. I have known 7 people who have left here by there own means.

For some reason, I am still here...I do not know why God has spared me when I see others die. Last month, I almost got to the point of doing it again. There has been 4 points in my life where I have either got to the point or tried it. Why am I opening up about this...?? Because Suicide is something that I feel is not a topic that is discussed. I know that we all get depressed and get to the end of rope, but for some it goes why beyond that...I feel that we as a society, we need to listen. I heard it said that "Listening is a Attitude of the Heart" We need to listen more and look for the warning signs. Suicide is not where a person says at this current moment, I want to die..it is like a slow car crash...

I saw this on Web MD as the warning signs...

Warning signs that someone may be thinking about or planning to commit suicide include:

Warning signs that someone may be thinking about or planning to commit suicide include:
  • Always talking or thinking about death
  • Clinical depression -- deep sadness, loss of interest, trouble sleeping and eating -- that gets worse
  • Having a "death wish," tempting fate by taking risks that could lead to death, such as driving fast or running red lights
  • Losing interest in things one used to care about
  • Making comments about being hopeless, helpless, or worthless
  • Putting affairs in order, tying up loose ends, changing a will
  • Saying things like "it would be better if I wasn't here" or "I want out"
  • Sudden, unexpected switch from being very sad to being very calm or appearing to be happy
  • Talking about suicide or killing one's self
  • Visiting or calling people to say goodbye

Please, if you see any of these warning signs, sit down and listen, ask open ended questions...get help for them...Suicide is preventable...I do not want to see another death due to this.

On Tueday, wear yellow or write Love across you wrists for those who are going through this or those who have lost there lives... Visit http://www.iasp.info/wspd/ for more information reagrding Tuesday and Suicide prevention. 

Thank you for reading this.

Jeffrey Carlson

1 comment:

  1. Very good post, Jeffrey. I could not agree more with what you have spoke about. Suicide is a terrible sickness and is something that needs more attention in this world. The only sad thing is when those who show no signs of this type of behavior falls victim to this type of death and we discover in a letter left and in some cases no letter which leaves us wondering, what did I miss or did I not pay attention to what that person was going through. Jeffrey, I do know one thing. You are still here because you are needed and there is a plan for you. We have been friends for many years and I have let you down numerous times and yet you still remain friends. THIS is why your still around. I will never know what you and others go through or have been through but your feedback here does raise awareness and open my eyes. Love you, Jeffrey.

    ReplyDelete