Monday, October 14, 2013

The season of giving is coming....

I have been thinking of last Thanksgiving and what happened that day to me...

That morning I got up and went across Broadway Street in West Palm Beach to the store to get a cup of coffee. I put on some sweat pants and a baseball cap since I just got up and wanted my coffee! I had not even shaved or taken a shower. When I was coming across the street from the store, a young lady stopped me and said that she was volunteering for the Union Mission Baptist Church and they were serving Thanksgiving Dinner to all the homeless in the area. She insisted that I go over and gets some food. I told here that I was NOT Homeless and had plans for Thanksgiving Dinner with friends. She said I was in denial and took me by the arm where they were serving dinner. I met some Homeless People and the Volunteers that were serving. I felt so Guilty for being there. But it gave me a unique perspective of the people who needed help the most. I saw children with parents who needed help...I saw families..I saw the face of the homeless here in West Palm Beach.

I have passed by this church almost every day and I see the Church give free meals all the time but really did not give it a second glance till that Thanksgiving. I have been thinking lately with the Holidays coming up. I know that as we pass Halloween, we focus of family and friends, but I think, we also need to focus on giving to those who are less fortunate than we are. There are food drives, there are Toys for Tots, there are loads of charities, that you can volunteer your time and money. I believe this year there are alot of people who need our help and also know there is Hope out there. 

Are you going to give this year? Are you going to provide hope to those who need it the most? Are you truly thankful enough to give to those who need it? I know if you do a Google search for your town, you can loads of places that you can donate food, time and money to help those who are less fortunate than you...All I ask is one act of kindness to those who need it the msot...


Jeffrey R. Carlson


  

No comments:

Post a Comment